Sunday, October 12, 2014

Just because I'm currently immersed in revising...

...doesn't mean I'm not still reading avidly. I have heard that some novelists daren't read anything other than their work in progress. Their reasoning? Either they're far, far too busy (some people have deadlines - lucky them) or they fear they'll end up copying the style of whichever author's novel they pick up.

I couldn't be more different. I'm never not reading a book - usually a novel but not necessarily. It could be history, biography or something for research and background reading, be it a recipe book, topography and nature. A few months ago I read all about keeping bees, now or in the past, cooking with honey etc. However, it's more likely to be fiction. As I've said before, I am book-mad, a bookaholic as it were.

As for inadvertently copying someone else's style, it has never happened to me. I can't do party tricks or impressions or speak in another accent from the one I'm stuck with now. I  admire certain writers more than others, love certain paragraphs and read them twice while trying to pin-point why they work so well. But I can't copy them. however much I wish to. I write like me. It's either good or bad, boring or even interesting, depending on the reader. I can't do anything else. I am what I am although I'me always learning and improving - I hope.

Anyway, here are a few books from the many I've read lately and loved for different reasons. But don't ask me to judge which I enjoyed the most.

I won't give any reviews or recommend you read any of them. But I have read them all with differing amounts of admiration. All all had their good and bad points and will appeal to different readers. Some you may hate. And - surprise, surprise. They're all historical novels.  .







Here is the exception. to my list. I have yet to read the following novel. But I will. It's on its way. Its companion (and first novel) is The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. As I loved that novel to bits and because the reviews of 'Queenie'  have all been favourable, I'm bound to love it, too. I'll tell you later...



1 comment:

  1. Hi Sally sorry I haven't dropped by lately. I like you I've been busy with my writing. I agree with you, I can only write like me. I too am a avid reader, normally one book a week if I have time. At the moment I'm reading 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn. Everyone is talking about it and its been made into a film.... Yeah, great! I'm finding it hard reading though there is a great idea behind the book, its just the telling of the story I'm find tough going. Told from the husband and wife's P.O.V I wanted to just give up on it but you want to finish it just to see how bad it will get.
    In truth I wanted to finish it so I don't make the same mistake with my writing. This year Sally I've had three stories accepted for publication so I'm very excited and pleased. One of the publishers has invited me to do a reading at the launch on 30th Oct in Swansea. I'm nervous about it but I want to do it so fingers-crossed I will. :-) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments even if they disagree with my opinions - but only if they are friendly and add to the discussion. I will delete pdq any spam, insults or total irrelevancies.