Friday, January 30, 2015

Books and more books

First of all, I want to recommend The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins who is a new name to me whom I hope to hear more of. If you want to read my review it's a five star Amazon review. Basically, I thought it a fine psychological thriller by an author who knows exactly what she is doing. (It has three first person viewpoint narrators for a start.) In my Amazon review, I also mentioned something that annoyed me about the title: the trend of calling young women 'girls' when they are in their late twenties and thirties with lovers, husbands, jobs or children. I know it can be used amongst ourselves in a light-hearted self-deprecating way but it seems it's everywhere now.

Anyway, I was heartened to find this opinion piece in Publishing Perspectives about this very novel. 
What do you think? Am I behind the times and old-fashioned? (Don't worry, I don't like 'lady' or 'ladies' either.)

I am now reading quite a different novel, Solace by Emily Mackie. I am still in the middle of it so I am unsure of whether it appeals to me. If it does, I'll let you know.



 I have two novels on order I am really looking forward to. They are Kate Atkinson's, A God in Ruins,  the 'follow-up' to the stunning Life After Life and A Spool of Blue Thread by the inimitable Anne Tyler. This said to become final novel. I hope it isn't.






1 comment:

I welcome all comments even if they disagree with my opinions - but only if they are friendly and add to the discussion. I will delete pdq any spam, insults or total irrelevancies.